While the elf confused Karl, the sneaky Halfling Cuddlebottom made his way to the first floor of the Inn. With his light steps, the sick vagabond was unaware as the Halfling crept up on him from behind, and only a gurgling sound was heard when the old vagabond had his throat slid. Downstairs, the Fancypants drew their weapons and started to bucher the flintmann and the two wurtbad refugees before they knew what was happening. The barkeep pulled up a large club, but suddenly the incantations from the shadow wizard ended in unspeakable horror and the few that had not already been cut down, ran for their lives into the dark forest. The Fancypants quickly regrouped, their only regret that they had not managed to slaughter every last one of the guests.
After considering to investigate the sewers the party head shopping where they meet Arta Scaffer. They are asked to help out getting information from Mathilda the fence who had just been arrested.
The fenced good included:
- A crate of Naggaroth Wine
- Wanda’s Ring
- A chunk of gold cut off from something larger
The party agree to help out Mathilda and establish a case for her freedom:
- A lawyer Alfred Klinkermann is hired from Pen & Blunderbuss Lawyers
- An elven ambassador Toriel is persuaded to talk their care regarding elven wine.
- Theodosius von Tuchtenhagen, a key witness is poisoned.
- Sybil Du Valle is persuaded to testify after the Halfling steals a mysterious Sundial from the shrine of Myrmidia.
The whole case ends as a bit of an embarrassment for the garrison, and Mathilda is released, reveling the tanner who sold her the gold chunk.
Investigating under Linus tannery, a group of skavens are found and they attack the party… except their spellcaster who escapes. The party defeat a nasty skaven assassin and a huge skaven with some frenzy magic stone.
In the tannery the party discover 13 dead people, matching the missing. They also dicover the gold plague and a corrupted bell clapper, apparently all that remains of the jade effigy. They call in various factions. The party is paid and the scene is wrapped up.
The party discovers the news of a chaos invasion from the North, lead amongst others a creature know as The Black Witch! They meet both flagellants and a slayer heading for the North gate to venture out.
Before leaving the party talks to various individuals and accumulate a number of tasks:
- Luminary Mauer ask them to bring the bell clapper to his collegue in Middenheim. Professor Robertus von Oppenheim, who has a method to purify items from taint. He gives the party a sealed leaden box and a sealed letter for the professor.
- Marcus Baerfaust request the party to find out what they can about the black cowl from Adele Ketzenblum
- Friedrich von Kaufman ask the party to investigate Graf Wolfgang von Ashenbech in Middenheim
- The Father Johannes of Myrmidia ask Hector to reunite the Sun Rainments where the armor is found in Wurtbad Temple and bring both armor and shield to Talabheim.
- The Father Johannes of Myrmidia ask Hector to look into the riddle regarding the stolen sun and moon dial. Sun Side: “On the day of the Moon the light of Morr illuminate the path of Midnight”. Moon Side" On the night of the Sun, the light of Morr caress Magarita’s gift.
- Frederich von Feschhosen is asked by his cousin to check on their uncle’s manor in Wurtbad.
- Lastly Leopold Schatterman recall that Hesper Goyle, a skilled Shadow Wizard has residence in the “Palace of Mirrors” in Wurtbad. Maybe worth investigating.
The First Leg: Averheim – Wurtbad
Riding on a red arrow coach provided by Von Kaufman the Averland Fancypants make a few encounters on their journey.
- Various people confirm that Chaos is invading and Emperor Karl Franz is leading a large army to meet them.
- Attacks by mutants and wolves confirms that the old world is still a dangerous place to travel.
- And old seer read the halflings hand, telling that the black cowl is both in their past and their future, wearing a mask as they know his face.
- As the band reach North Stirland, they discover a sinister plot of corrupted grain from the Wurtbad Graneries to transform the population into ghouls.
- At the Baron’s rest Inn, the party manage to slaughter most of the guests before they are turned into ghouls.
- They finally arrive at concealed army camp where Witch Hunter Alberich Von Korden is preparing a strikeforce to penetrate deep into Wurtbad and slay the Immoliah Fae and any necromancers assisting her. The party agree to join up with the strike force while the main army will stage a larger attack on the West Gate, lead by Grand Theogonist Volkmar himself.